April 2019 – China: Announcement to place all fentanyl-related substances under national control
The Government of China announced to add fentanyl-related substances to the Supplementary List of Controlled Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances with Non-medical Use. The new measure will be effective as of 1st May 2019.
According to the announcement, substances structurally related to fentanyl by one or more of the following modifications will be scheduled:
- Replacement of the N-propionyl group by another acyl group;
- Replacement of the N-phenyl group with any aromatic monocycle whether or not further Substituted in or on the aromatic monocycle;
- Substitution in or on the piperidine ring with alkyl, alkenyl, alkoxyl, ester, ether, hydroxyl, Halo, haloalkyl, amino or nitro groups; and/or
- Replacement of the phenethyl group with another group, excluding hydrogen atom.
Fentanyl and its analogues that have been scheduled previously in the List of Controlled Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and Supplementary List of Controlled Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances with Non-medical Use remain under control in accordance with the original lists.
For more information, please see:
- The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China (Chinese)
- GSU Vol.21/2019 - Understanding the global opioid crisis (EN)
- GSU Vol.17/2017 - Fentanyl and its analogues - 50 years on (EN), (ES), (RU)
- Newsclip - August 2018 – China: China places additional 32 new psychoactive substances under national control
- Newsclip - March 2017 – China: Carfentanil, furanylfentanyl, acrylfentanyl and valerylfentanyl placed under national control