Latest news on synthetic drugs - April 2017


April 2017 – Thailand: Large haul of methamphetamine seized

The Thailand Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) announced to have seized nearly 150 kg of crystalline methamphetamine together with 4 million methamphetamine tablets on 27 April. The drugs were seized on the road connecting between Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong, built along the bank of the Mekong River. Two people were charged with a related offence.

Photo copyright ©: NSB, Thailand

Source: NSB, Thailand

For more information, see (Thai)


April 2017 – Philippines: 2016 drug treatment admission data released

In 2016, the number of drug treatment admissions at residential facilities in the Philippines increased by 13 % from 5,402 in 2015 to 6,079. The median age of those admitted in 2016 was 31-year-old and male admissions accounted for 93% of the total.

Photo copyright ©: DDB, Thailand

Source: DDB, Thailand

For more information, see


April 2017 – Brunei Darussalam: 641 people arrested for drug related offences in 2016

According to media reports, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) of Brunei Darussalam made 641 arrests for drug-related offences in 2016, showing a stable trend compared to 2015 (638 arrests). Of the 641 arrests, 87% were male and the remaining 13% were female and about 9% were foreign nationals. With regard to the age distribution of arrests, persons aged 31 and above account for approximately 55% (355), followed by the age group between 21 and 30 years-old (237).

Source: Borneo Bulletin

For more information, see


April 2017 – Australia: Police made the largest ever methamphetamine seizure

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Victoria Police have seized almost 903 kg of crystalline methamphetamine, the largest ever amount seized in the country. According to a press release issued by the AFP, the seized methamphetamine was found in 70 boxes of wooden floorboards. Two men were arrested for a related offence. The authorities did not mention the origin of the seized drug.

Photo copyright ©: AFP, Australia

Source: Australian Federal Police

For more information, see